The Alchemy of Forever: An Incarnation Novel - Avery Williams

That cover is atrocious. It should apologize to everyone who has to look at it, but proves that you can’t judge a book by its cover. I hated this book before I started it because of that cover. I even resented the person who gave it to me a bit because LOOK. AT. IT. The paperback covers are much more acceptable but I, unfortunately, have the hardcover.

Anyway, the review.

This book was, contrary to the way it looks, not bad. It’s an extremely short read and has all the making of a horrifying YA PNR but it toes the edge instead of jumping off the cliff.

The main character, Seraphina, is interesting enough and tired of being a doormat. She has the good sense to know that the man she’s been in love with for centuries (literally) has bought a one-way ticket to assholerydom and has decided to get away. She never changes her mind, either. Once she makes the decision to leave him, she spends the novel trying to get away from him.

The other romantic interest, Noah, isn’t anything special. He’s a normal guy who goes to parties and has some family issues and a dog and he didn’t have supernatural abilities/looks or anything. Small victories in YA.

Cyrus… The jackwad. He was creepy and really threatening. The premise is that Cyrus and his father were alchemists and figured out a way to detach the soul from the body so that it could hop from body to body thus granting eternal life. This is what makes Cyrus a terrifying baddie. He may not know who she is now but he has a trail to follow and, at any time, he can switch bodies making it impossible for her to know who he is.

It was interesting and certainly easy to read. This is another book where the parents aren’t absent… well, her parents are absent because they died hundreds of years before. She has to deal with a completely different set of parents, though- those of the dead girl whose body she took and they are under the impression that their little girl is still alive. So Seraphina is forced to deal with this problem and I think it’s handled pretty well. She’s got a constant battle with the fact that she’s lying to this family, needing to get further away from Cyrus but knowing it would hurt them if they think their daughter has run away, and actually coming to care about the people she meets while in this new girl’s skin.

My only real problem with this book was that it didn’t hook me. Ever. I couldn’t tell you what it was that made it less than awesome, it was just, ya know, okay. All of the stuff above (cover aside) should have made for a decent, fun read but it ended up getting a ‘meh’ response from me. I’m not sure if I’ll move on and read the second in the series. Something interesting happened at the end of this one that made me curious but I don’t know if I’m interested enough to find out.

As I said- meh.