Daughter of the Forest - Juliet Marillier

I had heard many good things about this book and so wanted to like it. I wasn't even able to finish it. I'm one of those strange people who like long books that are descriptive to what some people would call a point of agony but I like it when it is done WELL. The plot took an insane amount of time to kick in and, after it finally did, it had a beautiful quality of prose but was ultimately some of the most boring narration I've ever read. The story takes forever to tell and instead of going on the journey with her, you are kept in the position of reader.

Characters come and go without ever being fleshed out as much as I would have liked for them to be.

My favorite characters, two of her brothers- Conor and Finbar, where enjoyable to read but aren't in it nearly enough since they are unfortunately in swan mode for most of the book.

Unfortunately, my least favorite character was Sorcha. To me, she fell extremely flat as a heroine. It was hard to dislike her because she is portrayed as such a decent, passionate person but I never felt anything for her. The only reason I wanted her to suceed in her quest was to save her brothers.

Red appeared as a decent type of character but I once again didn't have anything invested in him. This might have been because I had emotionally "checked out" by the time he FINALLY appeared on the page.

I won't be recommending this book to anyone. If you want a story with a strong female character, however, I can't recommend Kristen Britain's Green Rider trilogy highly enough.